Date: 11/18/17 5:03 am
From: <reports...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (17 Nov 2017) 19 Raptors
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory
Peterborough, New Hampshire, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 17, 2017

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 24 324
Osprey 0 0 219
Bald Eagle 3 22 163
Northern Harrier 0 10 82
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 53 1179
Cooper's Hawk 0 11 142
Northern Goshawk 0 3 17
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 121 180
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 8744
Red-tailed Hawk 14 205 319
Rough-legged Hawk 0 1 2
Golden Eagle 1 5 7
American Kestrel 0 0 166
Merlin 0 3 106
Peregrine Falcon 0 3 64
Unknown Accipiter 1 1 6
Unknown Buteo 0 2 6
Unknown Falcon 0 0 4
Unknown Eagle 0 0 1
Unknown Raptor 0 9 50

Total: 19 473 11781

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Katrina Fenton

Observers: Jeanne-Marie Maher

Visitors:
11

Weather:
This was a hang-onto-everything-you've-got sort of day with the WNW wind
tearing at anything not nailed down and giving flight to objects not meant
to go airborne. The morning overcast was pushed clear of the mountain by
noon, and by the end of the day just a few cumulus lingered far to the
north. The temperature ranged within a few degrees of either side of 30F.

Raptor Observations:
Watch your scope blow over in one direction and a Red-tailed Hawk holding
completely still in a kite in the other. Large raptors were undeterred by
the gusty conditions, though even the eagles were bounced around a little.
The Golden Eagle came through in the 11am hour; the first adult of the
season and putting us within a bird of our average for that species.

Non-raptor Observations:
The local songbirds were hunkered down and even the ravens were around in
smaller numbers than usual.

Non-raptor day list:
Common Raven- 11
Dark-eyed Junco- 12
White-throated Sparrow- 1

Predictions:
Looks like we'll get a bit of a break between storm systems. There will be
increasing clouds ahead of the oncoming rain, and the wind will be out of
the southwest at 10-15mph. It should feel mild with a temps in the low 40s.
We'll see what's flying on the lighter wind!
Report submitted by Katrina Fenton (<gosknits...>)
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory information may be found at:
www.nhaudubon.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=320