Date: 11/17/17 3:10 pm
From: Thor Manson <thormanson...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Rio Rico Golf Course Today
Hi birders: This morning John Hirth and I ventured down to the Rio Rico Golf Course for a look around. First time there for both of us, and we were impressed by the birds present, and the birding possibilities. Thanks to the owners for making this site available to us. My understanding is that on Monday mornings the whole course is open to birders, and, for now, at least, while they are refurbishing the back 9, that section of the course is always open to birders. As many know, the owners have created a birding path that allows you to see out onto the course without tromping on newly seeded greens, etc.

From talking to a couple of birders on the way out, we realized that we didn't see everything that is being reported, but the birds we did see were fun.

As far as the frequently reported Red Crossbills are concerned, we found a number of them in a pine by the 15th tee area, which, in turn, is pretty close to the pond by the clubhouse. Interestingly we didn't see them along the 17th fairway pines, which is where they are often reported; but then birds have wings, don't they?

Red shafted Flickers seemed to be everywhere. Didn't spend a lot of time looking through the ducks in the ponds, but they seemed to be mostly American Wigeons, Gadwalls, and Coots.

By the pond near the 17th fairway there was a juvenile Black crowned Night Heron sitting in a tree. Vermillion Flycatchers, Say's Phoebe and an Eastern Phoebe were " hawking " nearby. Other birds noted included, amongst others, Great Blue Heron, Ruby crowned Kinglet, Black throated Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Pyrrhuloxia, House Finch, Bewick's Wren, Gila Woodpecker, American Kestrel and 4 or 5 Curve billed Thrashers nabbing grasshoppers in the parking lot. A number of Black Vultures were perched at the top of a high dividing fence waiting for the thermals to kick in. Looking forward to more birding opportunities there. Cheers, Thor

Thor Manson

Green Valley.