Date: 11/16/17 11:12 am
From: <wforsythe...>
Subject: Bell's Vireo/Warren Wilson College, NC
Folks,

Ron Selvey and I arrived at Warren Wilson College at about 9:10 AM,
this morning. In the rear of garden, near the small, outhouse looking
shed, we talked to Tom Bush and Kirk. They had seen the bird at this
location a short time earlier and gave us the best information they had.
Shortly after they left, I got brief, but diagnostic views of this very
lovely bird. The vireo was flying from behind the shed to the ground in
the small, hillside garden. During this time, it made 4 trips from the
rear of the shed area, to the ground in the garden and then disappeared!
We stayed at this location for about an hour or so without seeing the
bird again.

Ron and I then walked back towards the main road, working the
hillside. Just as we got to the fence line along Warren Wilson Road, I
picked up the bird as it flew off the hillside and into the vegetation
along the fence line. We then watched this little guy for about 20
minutes, low to the ground, always staying in cover, while working his
way towards the bridge. During this period, 5 of us got very adequate
views of this bird. I was trying to keep it in sight, as Keith Camburn
was coming up from Gastonia. During the wait, we lost sight of this bird
for about 30 minutes.

Upon Keith's arrival, Keith immediately picked up the bird as it
flew from the fence line, back to the hillside, in the direction of the
shed, located in the back of the garden, where we first saw the bird.
Five of us watched this bird forage, in very good light for about 20
minutes. Unfortunately, the folks with the cameras departed earlier,
missing some wonderful photo opportunities.

I have no doubt in my mind, that this bird is definitely a Bell's
Vireo of the Eastern bellii subspecies. I do believe the photos being
circulated are indeed diagnostic as well. Thanks to Jim Polling for
another fantastic find and to Steve Ritt for getting the word out, as
well as to the folks who shared their information enabling many folks to
see this very special, bird.

Wayne

Join us on Facebook!