Date: 11/16/17 8:41 am
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] Scrub Jay Yard Behavior (Arapahoe)
This morning (11/16), I went to fill my empty platform feeder (Centennial
[Arapahoe Co.]). Typically, Red-breasted Nuthatches and Black-capped
Chickadees fly into my yard when I shake the bird seed bag. Today, the
chickadees were slow to arrive, but a Red-breasted Nuthatch was joined by a
magpie and a scrub jay. The three watched me from nearby as I poured seed
into the feeder.

Apparently, I didn't do this quickly enough for the scrub jay. After
watching me for a time, it left its close perch, went to the back of my
yard, and retrieved a cached peanut (in the shell) before flying into a
neighbor's conifers. Soon after, a second scrub jay arrived in the yard. I
suspect the first scrub jay is the one that's been in the neighborhood
since October, as I haven't been putting out peanuts in the shell for a
while. (It's possible, though, that this isn't that bird, but one that
cached a peanut in my yard from a neighbor's feeder. Who knows.)

Later, I noticed a Black-capped Chickadee bring a piece of peanut to my
still-frozen bird bath. I don't know if it was hoping to dunk the peanut or
if it was just looking for a good spot to hammer away at its meal.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO