Date: 11/14/17 3:42 pm
From: Marsha Nyffeler <marshanyffeler...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Jaeger - Lake North, Columbus
Possible Jaeger - species ?? This is an "unknown" bird to me..so this is
what I observed.

A group of ring-billed gulls were harassing a flock of hooded mergansers,
with the gulls was a VERY Dark bird about the same size as the gulls that
was harassing the gulls. My first thought was a "tern" - as it had the
very sharp pointed wings, that sweep back, and there are black terns at
Lake North - BUT this was too large, and the terns are gone for the
winter. My next thought was some sort of a gull - but the total dark body,
(and wings) and extremely pointed wings (with faint white area on underside
- towards tip) didn't match any gull. After looking through my
Sibley's...best "guess" is a Jaeger - maybe a Parasitic??? I didn't know
if that is a possibility in Nebraska - but I see in "Birds of Nebraska"
that it is a possibility. Any other ideas?

p.s. Swans on Lake Babcock

Marsha Nyffeler
Columbus, NE

Join us on Facebook!