Date: 11/14/17 1:29 pm
From: Cynthia D. Ellis <cdellis...>
Subject: Winfield: Egret, Eagles, Peregrine and Cormorants, Cormorants, Cormorants
Birded today near Winfield, Putnam County...Locks, backwaters, and a mini-wetland. There was a Peregrine Falcon on the Winfield Bridge, a Great Egret and a pair of adult Bald Eagles at the Locks, and Double-crested Cormorants in multiple locations. Saw a Kestrel zoom at a Red-shouldered Hawk, Hooded Mergansers displaying, and six hundred Common Grackles in one flock. One of the most appealing scenes was a glassy stretch of the Kanawha River with two Great Blue Herons flying together, then splitting apart...wings dipping in movements almost like a ballet.
Location lists submitted to eBird; here is general combined day list:
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Hooded Merganser
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Egret
Bald Eagle
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
American Coot
Killdeer
Herring Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Carolina Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Eastern Towhee
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle
American Goldfinch
~Cindy Ellis, Kim Kazmierski

--
Cynthia D. Ellis
3114 Steel Ridge Road

“We have fallen heirs to the most glorious heritage a people ever received, and each one must do his part if we wish to show that the nation is worthy of its good fortune.”

~Teddy Roosevelt

Join us on Facebook!