Date: 11/14/17 11:55 am
From: Dave DeReamus <becard...>
Subject: Re: OT: NY Corn Crake tragedy
Dave,

Just to be clear, for whatever reason, the bird got hit by a car when NO
birders were present. There are many reasons that the bird could've gotten
into the lanes of traffic. My friend saw the bird chase after a grasshopper
right out to the very edge of the road as the traffic zipped by. I only
mentioned the foxes because we saw them nearby and they hunt in the dark
when no birders would've been there.

As to my "tone", it was probably caused by the all-too-often criticizing of
birders who are "bad" because they 'chase' birds. As with every other
situation, sometimes there are a few bad apples that cause the mass majority
of responsible people to get a poor reputation. One has to only look to the
national situation with police to understand that.

I agree that any bird's death caused by humans is sad. Right or wrong, it's
just a fact that a very unusual bird is going a lot more attention than when
you drive down the road and a Robin flies into your grill.

Good birding,
Dave DeReamus
Palmer Township, PA
becard -at- rcn.com