Date: 11/14/17 11:10 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Bad Luck At Waukegan But Better Luck At Illinois Beach South Tuesday 11-14-17
Hello Bird People,

Driving somewhere & not finding the bird you went to see is bad enough
but arriving to be told that the target is present & then you can't
find it is even worse & that's what happened to me today.
Arrived at Waukegan Beach at 7 a.m. & found Donnie D at the base of
the fishing pier & he pointed out a diving duck toward the end of the
pier but well out in the open water. He said it was the Harlequin but
by that time the sun was right in my face & all I could see was a
silhouette of a duck & it was diving. But Donnie gave a good
description & it sounded like he had indeed seen a female Harlequin.
Walked the pier until the sun was no longer an issue but when I found
a duck in the area where I expected my target it was a Goldeneye & not
a Harlequin. Although I had thought there was only 1 duck there but
there may have been 2 & Donnie's Harlequin was gone leaving me with a
Goldeneye. This exchange was not in my favor! Soon Phil D from
Rockford arrived & we searched for another 20 min but only saw the
Goldeneye & various duck flocks flying by. Also saw 1st 1 & then 2
shorebirds on the pier but neither was the hoped for Purple Sandpiper
but the usual Dunlin & Sanderling combo.

Not off to a good start. I next went to North Point Marina where in
the harbor were Bufflehead (18),
Red Breasted Merganser (1-F) & about 400 Gulls almost all of which
were Herring. In the lake itself were 7 more Bufflehead & 4 R.B.
Mergansers. One Common Loon flew by but not in close.

Hoping to salvage my day I drove to Illinois Beach South & saw Andy
Stewart leaving. He told me to check from the main beach parking lot &
to the north where I did find 2 LONG TAILED DUCKS in close & after a
long walk a mixed group of BLACK & SURF SCOTERS. Couldn't get an exact
count as they were blocked by posts in the water & were diving a lot
but there were more than 10 total.

I also checked Sand Pond at the north unit of Illinois Beach & there I
saw 10-12 Coots & about 7 Hooded Mergansers, all females.

So I did finally did get to see a few special birds but was was highly
disappointed not to have seen the hoped for Harlequin Duck. But if
that duck doesn't want to be on my year list that's it's loss as well
as mine. Others checked later & told me they did not find that duck
either but it may return.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the 2 Long Tailed Ducks & Runners-Up to the Black &
Surf Scoters.

Al Stokie
In N.E. Lake County not finding the Harlequin Duck

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: