Date: 11/14/17 10:05 am
From: 'David L. Keeling' <dkeeling...> [slocobirding] <slocobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [slocobirding] Estero Bluffs birds and a web-foot question
Good morning all,

A very pleasant visit to Estero Bluffs yesterday. Enjoyed an immature WHITE-TAILED KITE perched in a bush along the fig tree entrance trail. The scopes of a group in front of me made it easy to locate the pair of HARLEQUIN DUCKS sitting on an off-shore rock in, of course, horrid light. Along the shore there is an abundance of BLACK TURNSTONES, and I was able to find one RUDDY TURNSTONE to share with Maggie Smith and Jackie Knowlton

Meanwhile the male harlequin relocated to a different rock with better bad light and tolerated my awkward approach. It is mid-molt, but what really struck me was that the webbing of its feet (or at least one foot) is surprisingly not symmetric, much more deeply cut on the outer side toe than the inner toe. Which of course made me realize I have no idea what variation occurs in duck foot webbing!!!

Finally, I include my best photo of the female BLACK SCOTER, not taken yesterday, but still an Estero Bluffs bird

Dave Keeling

Morro Bay

Enjoy a six-pack of photos at

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_morro_bay_keeling/38419376041/in/photostream/

[cid:f23d0109-0220-4190-85d7-a98ee72f355c]01 Black Scoter<https://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_morro_bay_keeling/38419376041/in/photostream/>
Estero Bluffs State Park, at the Villa Creek beach. My best of many attempts on a half-dozen visits.

[https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4563/38419376041_7bdd408f2c_b.jpg] <https://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_morro_bay_keeling/38419376041/>
[https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4563/38419376041_7bdd408f2c_b.jpg]

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional