Date: 11/14/17 9:47 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Raccoon Ridge (10 Nov 2017) 380 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 5 7 64

Total: 380 485 9031

Observation start time: 06:45:00
Observation end time: 16:45:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Brian Hardiman

Observers: Al Ambler, Jack McCormack, Tom Bailey, Tom Campbell

Visitors:
Additional observers/visitors: Roger Johnson, Patrick Keelen, Frank
Merentino, Blais Brancheau, Jeff Climpson, Aaron Tidridge, Carl Andresen,
Jeff Moffatt.

Hikers - 6, plus the Ocean County Boy Scouts backpacking group (20).

Thank you to all for your company and excellent spotting on this very cold
but very rewarding day.

Weather:
clear skies very early w/ clouds and snow squalls moving in between
8:00-9:00, then increased clearing thru the day; wind NW 10-20 steady all
day, w/ some gusts pushing 30; temp 23-29 deg F w/ wind chill as low as 10
deg F.

Raptor Observations:
BE - 6:50A, 6:50I, 6:55(2I), 7:55I, 8:05I, 8:34I, 8:38(3I), 8:50I, 9:30I,
9:32I, 10:40I, 11:08I, 11:11A, 11:13(5I), 2:38I.

GE - 6:50I, 7:12A, 7:15A, 7:20I, 8:58I, 9:33I, 12:18A, 1:30A, 3:07(unknown
age).

NG - 11:48I, 1:45I, 2:58I.

It was an outstanding, classic November Coon day that had it all--birds,
wind, cold temps, and snow squalls! Coon's 'wow factor' meter had its
needle buried.

Highlights were many:

- 31 eagles (by 7:20 4 Goldens & 4 Balds had already been counted. The
first Golden, at 6:50, put on a show as it fended off two pestering
Ravens).
- the 294 RTs represent the 5th highest count for this species in the last
11 seasons.
- today's Goshawk count of 3 had last been reached back on 3 November 2012
when 4 were tallied. Two of today's birds gave 'toe-curling' looks.
- 20 RS marks a high for this season, with some super looks at adults at
and below eye level.

Bird of the Day contenders were many--collectively the big RT flight,
several adult RS that 'gave it up', the early Golden scrapping with the
Ravens, and a number of BE that gave sweet looks...but the winner is the
11:48 immature Goshawk that came out of nowhere and popped up over the
trees directly in front of us and passed very close on the river side. The
sighting of this large individual not only curled toes, but it rolled some
socks down and back up again--WOW!

Non-raptor Observations:
Ravens - 2-3.
TVs & BV (1).
Canada Geese - flocks moving much of day.
Cedar Waxwings.
Loon.
Gulls (Ring-bills?).
American Robins - flocks moving early and late in day.
Winter Wren.
Coyotes - heard by BH & JM around 5:30 pm on hike out.
Report submitted by Brian Hardiman (<hardimanbrian...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=339

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi