Date: 11/13/17 9:30 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (13 Nov 2017) 5 Raptors

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Jim Balint, Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy with Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 1,500 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 37 - 46F, Winds North @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
3-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American Kestrel, and numerous Black (4) and Turkey
Vultures (15).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-0
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Poor Dumb Animal?”---

Jim was out on this damp morning. He came for “field brew,” which I am
unfortunately out of, and to put our deer carcass, found yesterday during
our walk, on the carrion feeder. Turns out, Jim is also a fan of our blog
- laughing in the tree stands at times. You know, it’s hard to shoot
straight when you are laughing, buddy. I’m just sayin’. And those deer
are pretty slick. They can hear a giggling fool, even one dressed in his
Sunday-best camo and freezing his ass off, high up a tree with a sling
shot, reeking of doe urine – even (or especially?) one drinking “field
brew!” And you know, Jim, you can freeze your butt off and miss deer right
here safely on the ground. Jim, drinking “field brew” is a fine art,
requiring the utmost attention – and not for the simple of mind. That
stuff will put hair on your chest…I mean instantly! Hair, which can get
tangled in bow strings and cause a nasty flesh wound, and pull your
‘well-aimed’ arrow to one side, resulting in you actually hitting
something. One wonders just who the defenseless, “simple mammal” is, in
this scenario? I mean, just who is it that’s spending hundreds of dollars,
while sprinkling deer piss all over themselves, only to freeze high up a
tree, giggling and missing stuff? It certainly isn’t the deer, is it?
Now, I could see THE DEER giggling, while thinking “there IS a poor, dumb,
defenseless animal here alright – and he smells just like that doe in
estrus that I used to know, he’s standing high in that tree right there,
shivering and drinking, what is that, ‘field brew!?’” I’ll cure Jim of
liking the blog when I “feature” him on a few of them… But I’d better be
careful. I can just see the headline now: “Handsome, World-famous,
Amazing Birder & Humanitarian Killed by Giggling Hunter’s ‘Stray’ Arrow”
So OK, I embellished – literary license…

At 12:35, “Jim’s deer” paid its initial dividend with 2 Ravens on the tray
briefly, then circling it while calling to each other, quickly heading away
to our west. Ah…these INTELLIGENT animals know it’s here. They will be
back! Just how cool is THAT?

Jim brought down a tree to be put out for birds to land on at our feeders.
It will be put in tomorrow. Jim is going to dig the hole, lift it and
install it – all by himself. I know this, because I sure ain’t helping
him! The man’s an animal. I’ll leave the descriptors to you. Thanks
Jim, and be leery of that “field brew!” It’ll catch you, my friend.

Today’s predicted improving weather never happened. We saw next to nothing
– just some ‘poor dumb animal’ drinking “field brew” and giggling
aimlessly. And I do mean AIMLESSLY! He’s one deer hunter in a serious
rut. (think about it)
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
2-COMMON RAVEN, 5-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0): Dragonflies (0): Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (0):
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 1.11; Steps: 2,593; Floors: 2.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 37; this season: 133
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like we'll have good cloud coverage after a foggy
beginning, with light favorable winds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: