Date: 11/13/17 8:58 pm
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Subject: [obol] *Re: westside Golden Eagles
Hi Darrel,

Yep, I remember once orally reporting a golden eagle atop the EPA
flagpole at the Hatfield Marine Science Center at the start of a field
trip that I led. It was probably a field trip for Yaquina Birders &
Naturalists, but YB&N field trips aren't on the first of the month, so
I don't think it would have been on April 1. At the start of the
field trip, I orally asked if anyone on the field trip was interested
in seeing a golden eagle. In oral English, there is no difference
between a golden eagle and a Golden Eagle. Not unexpectedly, field
trippers were disappointed and groaned a lot in seeing a golden eagle
fixed atop a flagpole rather than seeing a live Golden Eagle. But it
loosened the field trip up a bit and also let those on the field trip
question what was reported rather than just take identifications told
them for granted. Part of a good field trip, I think, can be to
encourage observers to carefully observe and question identifications,
even those by the field trip leader.

Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon.

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 8:02 PM, <5hats...> wrote:
> I have never seen a Golden Eagle on the outer coast, but have sighted
> the in the interior Coast Range between my farm on Thornton Creek and Burnt
> Woods probably about ten different times over the years. Definitely rare.
> Range Bayer once reported one atop a flagpole at the marine science
> center on 1 April, but I don't think anyone but Paul Sullivan was interested
> in chasing it.
> Darrel
POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>