Date: 11/13/17 3:57 pm
From: Doug Jenness <d_jenness...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] AZ: Mountain Plovers in Stanfield area
11/13/17

Today, I found 5 MOUNTAIN PLOVERS in a sod farm northeast of Stanfield in western Pinal Co. As far as I know this is a new location for this plover. They were with over a dozen KILLDEER, some WESTERN MEADOWLARKS, and many AMERICAN PIPITS and HORNED LARKS. The sod farm owned by Evergreen Turf, which also has a farm at the Santa Cruz Flats known for its Mountain Plovers, is located east of Russell Rd. along the north side of Barnes Rd. The farm, which stretches for about a mile, is best viewed from Barnes Rd. In the same general vicinity, there are a lot of alfalfa fields with large irrigators. I observed 31 RED-TAILED HAWKS, 18 on one irrigator, and 2 FERRUGINOUS HAWKS and 1 PRAIRIE FALCON.

Doug Jenness

Tucson, AZ