Date: 11/13/17 2:28 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
Once again, some 30 birders gathered to take part in the Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk this morning.  We identified 41 species of birds with a number of highlights.  We watched as a pair of Great Blue Herons faced off in what was probably a territorial ballet.  Very graceful, but there seemed to be no discernible outcome - at least to us humans.  The winter duck count is growing, as we saw our first Shovelers, Pintails, and Gadwalls.  A group of Field Sparrows were seen in a larger group of Song Sparrows in the small field behind the Tower, and the usual collection of Re-winged Blackbirds, Northern Cardinals, and Eastern Bluebirds rounded out the morning.  A very pleasant day.
Canada Goose  52
Northern Shoveler  4
Gadwall  4
Mallard  26
American Black Duck  2
Northern Pintail  6
Hooded Merganser  2
Ruddy Duck  1
Great Blue Heron  5
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Ring-billed Gull  13
Mourning Dove  7
Red-headed Woodpecker  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  4
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  4
Pileated Woodpecker  4
Eastern Phoebe  3
Blue Jay  6
American Crow  5
Fish Crow  1
crow sp.  1
Carolina Chickadee  5
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Carolina Wren  7
Golden-crowned Kinglet  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2
Eastern Bluebird  8
American Robin  18
Yellow-rumped Warbler  6
Field Sparrow  4
Dark-eyed Junco  2
White-throated Sparrow  18
Song Sparrow  5
Swamp Sparrow  4
Northern Cardinal  7
Red-winged Blackbird  19
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  14

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 8AM (7AM from March through October), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Friends of Huntley Meadows Park