Date: 11/13/17 1:34 pm
From: Alan Buriak <a_buriak...>
Subject: Tundra Swans, other waterfowl - Butler County
I stopped at 4 locations along the south shore at Moraine State Park this afternoon and had an assortment of species. The overall species diversity was not huge (14 waterfowl species), but numbers of individuals were pretty high. Notably, I had 6 Tundra Swans at the inlet at the end of Big Run Rd, a Common Loon at Bear Run Boat Launch, and a single hen Northern Shoveler far out in the lake with a group of Gadwalls seen from Pleasant Valley Rd near the point. The Black-headed Gull was not in to roost on the grass at Pleasant Valley Beach when I stopped around 12:45 PM and then again around 3:00 PM, there were around 50 Ring-billed Gulls and a couple Herring Gulls there though, and I was able to make out a few Bonaparte's Gulls out on the lake.

Waterfowl totals from all 4 stops combined are below:

Canada Goose - 205
Tundra Swan - 6
Mute Swan - 1
Mallard - 92
Gadwall - 97
Ruddy Duck - 21
Northern Shoveler - 1
Ring-necked Duck - 18
Green-winged Teal - 2
Bufflehead - 23
Common Loon - 1
American Coot - 130
Pied-billed Grebe - 6
Double-crested Cormorant - 2

On a side note, Big Run Rd, a long, narrow gravel dead-end road off of Pleasant Valley Rd, provides access to two secluded inlets, of which the one at the very end of the road produced the Tundra Swans and other species today. The other inlet can be viewed by parking partway out the road and walking north a short distance down an old gated road grade. I thought for sure that Big Run Rd used to be off limits and was posted for park maintenance use only, but it is definitely open to the public now. I will be adding it to my regular list of waterfowl stops when I bird Moraine SP!

Good birding,
Alan Buriak
Gibsonia, Allegheny County