Date: 11/13/17 11:01 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (12 Nov 2017) 87 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 87 1181 13981

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter:

Observers: David Brown, Don Manuel, Kathleen Pileggi, Sue Manuel

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (13): Albert Weinstein, Dan Egan, Kathleen Pileggi, Don Manuel,
Sue Manuel, Colleen DelMonte, Lana Glass, David Brown, Maria Zouras, Elias
Zouras, Julie Engiles, Jean-Marie Gauthier.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Sunny to Mostly Cloudy (50-75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 18,700-30,000
ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 29 - 47F, Winds NE-SE @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-tailed Hawk,
1-American Kestrel, and numerous Black (60) and Turkey Vultures (75).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Magellan, He Was Not”---

We held our Sunday bird walk at Bucktoe first this morning with eleven of
us braving the harsh conditions. At least, they were harsh considering the
fall we’ve had. Birds taking the chilly edge off the hike included…. a
very cooperative Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, a very elusive Brown Creeper,
and good looks at birds at both ends of the size spectrum – Bald Eagle and
Golden-crowned Kinglets. Julie even found a late Phoebe despite the hat.
We were on trails we hadn’t been on in years today, due to the guide-work
of “Jean-Marie Champlain”…that great French explorer/discoverer, don’t you
know… His leadership led to some serious “bush-whacking” necessitating
crossing some rather tentative bridges that were, shall we say, “on edge” –
with me becoming the official “royal bridge tester.” I survived, but
relinquish the job….before there is “one bridge too fall”… (sorry)

We did “discover” a dead deer… (likely died from following a French deer
and getting lost)… I notified Jim and it’s already on the way to our
carrion tray feeder to attract Eagles, Vultures and Ravens. Perhaps this
will garner a Golden?

Dave, the official counter at Ashland, was on the morning walk with us and
later was at the Hawk Watch, doing a great job spotting hawks. Late in the
day, Dave saw a Red-tail that had just flown south turn around head north,
then drift south again.
“We should count it again.” Laughed Dave, even with his Ashland abacus in
hand, while casting an envious glare at my fancy “old-school” clicker. (Eat
your heart out, Dave!)
“So… THAT’S how Ashland does it, right Dave?? Not gonna count it, Dave –
we try to run a tight ship here at Bucktoe! Unlike those ‘counts’ south of
the Mason-Dixon Line” I teased, Dave.
Dave shot back, “You folks up here at Bucktoe only have one Red-tailed
Hawk. It just keeps flying back and forth while you click away!”
Believing I recognized it as one, I said this:
“Look ma…Dave made a joke!”
Seriously Dave, it was a lot of fun having you around today, my friend.
[Now, get the Hell out of here, will ya? –LOL ]

A pair of Bald Eagles and a Peregrine was reported from Shaw’s Bridge Park
this weekend [MB].
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Great Blue Heron, 1-Common Loon, 4-Ring-billed Gull, 1-Herring Gull,
1-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 5-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0): Dragonflies (0): Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (0):
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.77; Steps: 15,876; Floors:
24.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 42; this season: 133
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a rough beginning with a changeable afternoon.
I like the changeable part.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: