Date: 11/13/17 9:46 am
From: Andrew Burnett <aburnett9180...>
Subject: Golden Eagle - Neosho Wildlife Area 11-13-17
A juvenile Golden Eagle was seen this morning at Neosho Wildlife Area. It
was first noticed by KDWPT employee Travis Ratliff. I was able to relocate
it fairly easily. The bird seemed to be comfortable and made a couple of
runs on the ducks. Anyone wanting to attempt to see this bird needs to be
aware the roads are closed around the area and the only practical way to
view is to look from the county road on the east side(Wallace Rd). The
eagle seemed to favor the trees on the S end of the refuge pool when
perched. This is the first Golden Eagle I have observed in the 9 counties
of far SE Kansas.

Other notables were a flock of ~15 Dunlin, 2 Purple Finch, and a likely
pair of American Black Ducks.

Other Neosho Co tidbits:

Red Crossbills were still present 11-12-17 at the Lake Parsons pine forest.
A single Short-eared Owl was observed cruising my prairie restoration
11-10-17
White-winged Scoter was observed 11-6-17 at Lake Parsons.

Andrew Burnett
rural Erie, KS

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to