Date: 11/13/17 9:27 am
From: Fred Vir <avtrader...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Corn Crake population increase
Got you Dom.  I am with you on continuing global issues for birds. We
were just talking about different aspects of the crake event.

I usually sound more like you with a more long term, carrying capacity
centric and ecological examination of the  birding event but many
listers/birders were arriving or en route via planes, cars etc.  The
bird dying several hours before some of us even got on the plane or in
the car that day certainly cost us all including the "community" in
different ways.

My thread focus was more on the increasing chances of future Nearctic
vagrancy; whether many of the western parts of Europe are a population
sink is a different issue or thread.   On that its similar to NJ's
Grasshopper Sp. in many ways.............declining numbers for decades,
grassland species, with multiple broods, high reproductive capacity,
some core stable  areas,  heterogenous remaining breeding habitat,
surrounding carrying capacity dropping, etc.   In some years our
Lakehurst surveys would have two hundred total birds by August while in
other years we would have several hundred.  NJ, outside of a few areas
(Sussex, Salem, maybe Hunterdon counties) is a sink for Lakehurst birds.
Successful conservation efforts, or fledgling rate in one area only
results in dispersing birds leaving Lakehurst to die and likewise in
Europe for crakes.

I never had any doubt that the very large and increasing numbers of
crakes collectively in Eastern Europe, parts of Scandinavia and select
parts of  W Europe would result in a typical sink-source dynamics in
many parts of Europe and the proposed NW Europe source area for vagrant
Corn Crakes to the Nearctic.

Regardless vagrancy is only a derivative of breeding success PLUS
immigration; vagrancy rates are often (but not always, see assortive
vagrancy below) just a function of sheer, post breeding population
numbers rather than how N was reached.

With an increase in absolute numbers in the proposed NW Europe source
area of  :

Total   was    6,125   in ~ 1993 and circa 2010 surveys had 18,680    (
I added France to numbers)

This is a 305% increase in the source area I propose and a substantial
absolute number increase of 12,555 birds (delta N +12,555!) in NW
Europe. I will check the survey papers for flaws with time.

And who is to say that the contemporary drops and erratic population
survey numbers from year to year now in W Eu aren't the result of a
modern and real increase in purposeful vagrant dispersal by some number
of birds? These birds do not return to the exact summer spot in W Eu
since they became vagrants with some dying or dispersed to a potential
better Eu area and remained uncounted in the millions of acres.

Presumably sexual dimorphic behavior, with females exhibiting natality
and males exhibiting promiscuous outbreeding behavior that causes them
to move up to 1,500 kilometers in a summer will result in a male skewed
sex ratio in some areas.  The NY bird was a male. These excess males may
be the source of what we are seeing in the New World. By the way in 2012
there was the first ever Corn Crake recorded in Brazil. This makes 3 New
World records in about 5 years.  Assortive phenotypical migratory
behavior may be caused by males not being reproductively successful in
areas with limited habitat, carrying capacity and/or females.  Hence
innate vagrancy can happen.

I tend to lean towards some unknown frequency of genetically based
vagrancy which can be expressed phenotypically when certain ecological
factors exist.

tks Fred Virrazzi
 Secaucus

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>