Date: 11/13/17 8:28 am
From: Ronald- Thorn <Tronthorn...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Miscellaneous sightings during the weekend

Below are some miscellaneous sightings from the weekend.

On Saturday, there was a pair of Blue-winged Teal among many other ducks resting on the shoreline at the
pond behind the Nob Hill Market in Redwood Shores.

Along Sem Lane in Belmont, there was a SWAMP SPARROW in the marsh vegetation on the edge of the slough.
The Swamp Sparrow was with Song, Lincoln's and crowned sparrows including the continuing White-throated
Sparrow.

At Oyster Point in South San Francisco, late inside San Francisco Bay were ( 2 ) Elegant Terns among ( 460 )
Forster's Terns on the jetty.

Early on Sunday morning I decided to do a skywatch from Skylawn Memorial Park in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
Clear and calm conditions was good for the skywatch. I had not been back to S.M.P. since the later part of October
and I wanted to see if birds were still southbound. Yes, there were southbound birds still coming through.

Merlin ( 1 )
Band-tailed Pigeon ( 3,465, highest number in a group 160, impressive number )
American Robin ( 6 )
Varied Thrush ( 110, highest number in a group 17 )
Cedar Waxwing ( 41 )
Yellow-rumped Warbler ( 16 )
Red Crossbill ( 145, highest number in group 70, type 3 )
Purple Finch ( 4 )
Pine Siskin ( 9 )
Lesser Goldfinch ( 3 )

A White-throated Sparrow was foraging on the lawn with other crowned sparrows

The Scarper Peak pair of Golden Eagles were up near Ox Mountain. There was also a juvenile seen near Scarper
Peak.

Ron Thorn

Join us on Facebook!