Date: 11/12/17 11:16 pm
From: Michael Zarky <mzarky...> [LACoBirds] <LACoBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Pacific Golden Plover still present early Sunday afternoon
By noon no sign of the 5K race, and most of the Snowy Plovers were
hunkered down seaward of their demarcated enclosure. Didn't spot the
Golden immediately; eventually birder Nancy from Covina Hills found
it a little ways SE of the enclosure and of all the Snowys. While its
coloration is a near match for the sand it's large enough to spot
even when it isn't moving.
Joggers (very few) would sometimes come along the stretch of sand
right in front of the enclosure and while the plovers didn't usually
flush from the disturbance, one time the entire flock took off. The
Golden was by its larger size easily spotted flying with the Snowys;
eventually it landed alone while the rest of flock continued in the
air. After that I found the bird was even easier to approach for some photos

Hey Kevin, thanks for the great find, and impressive photos (from a
"pocket camera" no less - no further info on Flickr).

I quickly selected a few of my own shots at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/94434086@N05/38323740296/in/dateposted-public/
Probably add a few more tomorrow.

Michael Zarky
10963 Citrus Drive
Moorpark, CA 93021 USA

Listowners: mailto:<LACoBirds-owner...>

Turn off email delivery: mailto:<LACoBirds-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<LACoBirds-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)