Date: 11/12/17 6:08 pm
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Two Benton shrikes, Finley Short-eared Owls, Black-bellied Plover
Hi folks,

I spent a good chunk of time birding around Benton County today (Finley NWR
and Philomath Sewage Ponds). Here are some of the highlights:

The NORTHERN SHRIKE that's been hanging around the Philomath Ponds was near
the pump house on the west side this afternoon; it later worked its way
south along the west fence line. A couple of photos here:
https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40480287

This evening, while looking for Short-eared Owls, I found a second NORTHERN
SHRIKE at the Prairie Overlook at Finley NWR. It was on the fence line that
runs east from the platform parking lot. Two SHORT-EARED OWLS obligingly
appeared just around sunset and put on a nice show for me, perching atop of
a tree and chasing harriers around. A singing WESTERN MEADOWLARK provided a
pleasant soundtrack for the experience, replaced after sunset by a hooting
GREAT-HORNED OWL in the distance.

Earlier today, I (re)found a BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER in the wet field east of
McFadden Marsh (Finely NWR) and west of the railroad (thanks to Tyler
Hallman for alerting me to the bird's presence!). Very crappy pics can be
seen here: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40475158

Otherwise, birding at Finley was pretty much within the ordinary. A few
TUNDRA SWANS at McFadden and Cabell, one immat. SNOW GOOSE, 8 GADWALL, one
RED-SHOULDERED HAWK and 2 BLACK PHOEBES at Cabell, single ROUGH-LEGGED
HAWKS at the south end of Bruce Rd, and at the Prairie Overlook; seven
WESTERN MEADOWLARKS at Prairie Overlook around noon, and small flocks of
WESTERN BLUEBIRDS in several places.

Nice to get out and even enjoy a little bit of sunshine today!

Happy fall birding

Hendrik

--
Hendrik G. Herlyn