Date: 11/12/17 5:14 pm
From: Glenn d'Entremont <gdentremont1...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Townsend's Solitaire at Demarest Lloyd State Park, South Dartmouth, 11/12/17
I observed a Townsend's Solitaire at Demarest Lloyd State Park in South Dartmouth today (11/12/17) at around 11:00 this morning.

I was chasing a report a week old regarding a Bell's Vireo. I attach my ebird description below. Directions are embedded.

Glenn

After about one minute of observing chickadees which came to my spishing, squeeking, screech-owl this gray bird came in seemingly curious. It was silent. Looking through leaves, first impression it was a catbird, but noticed no black cap. Then it raised its head to show a small black bill, black eye on gray face on rounded head and obvious white eyering. The gray was a shade or two paler than catbird. It sat more erect, vertical than horizontal. When flew it had quick wing beats just flashing the wings out rapidly so could not see the outstretched wing well. Flew to cedar/juniper tree. Blackish wing; seemed little markings on it, might be one of poorly marked wings. The tail was also blackish with noticeable white on the outer feather, could not determine if it was the outer web or whole feather. Observed bird for about three minutes in good light and it flew several times eventually disappearing in the same direction it arrived.
This was at picnic table area in the parking area at the far eastern part of the park. The area it was in is the Lake George trail. The area looks very good for a bird to hang in for the winter; weather and food permitting.
Interestingly the thicket at the end of Barney's Joy Road just south of the entrance had an interesting bird sound which I could not ID about 1 hour-1 1/2 hours before this siting. The area is just 1/4 or 1/2 mile the way the solitaire flies. The Xeno-canto recordings XC282421 & 422 are close to what I heard and interestingly were recorded in mid-November 2014. These sounds came from the private section and I could not check it out.

Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

Join us on Facebook!