Date: 11/12/17 4:51 pm
Subject: Pungo Unit, Pocosin Lakes NWR today
Hi folks,

Went to Pungo this morning and had some nice birds. Spent most of the time on the southwest side of the lake at the impoundment along the Wildlife Drive and all along Canal D road. Heard Sandhill Crane and watched two fly into the impoundment. Always nice to see this species. Also in the impoundment were some shorebirds including Dunlin, Least Sandpipers, 3 Pectoral Sandpipers (somewhat late), both yellowlegs, and one Long-billed Dowitcher. In the adjacent field I watched a small group of Horned Larks flying around and with them was a Lapland Longspur! I heard it’s rattle call several times, but unfortunately never saw it on the ground. Also checking for sparrows along Canal D road produced 4 Lincoln’s and one Clay-colored. These were mostly at the northern end of the road, where the trail along the north side of the lake comes in. By the way, the Tundra Swans have really arrived for the season with thousands already present!

Later, Ricky

Ricky Davis
Rocky Mount, NC

Sent from my iPad