Date: 11/12/17 4:23 pm
From: Patrick O'Driscoll <patodrisk...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Fox Sparrow & Hermit Thrush - deKoevend (Arapahoe)
Sorry you had that encounter, Adam --

I was there late Saturday, 3:40 - 5 p.m. (along with a couple from Bailey
whom I encountered in the park, out looking for screech owls). We met the
homeowners who keep all those birdfeeders in the spot where Jared reported
the fox sparrow -- so I'm guessing it was not they who called the cops.
Very nice people, out for a walk along the canal.

I told them what rarity we were seeking. They also said there's a screech
owl cavity in a cottonwood there, visible only from their side of the
canal. They told the Bailey couple they'd text them if that bird showed up.
I did not get the fox sparrow or the hermit thrush, unfortunately, but I
still managed a dozen species within sight of that spot -- including, after
sunset, an odd sight: a belted kingfisher straddling a long utility wire
that runs from the canal area down into the park, above meadows. Also after
sunset, a pair of red-tailed hawks was being mobbed by black-billed magpies
in a cottonwood along the creek down below the rec center.

Patrick O'Driscoll
Denver