Date: 11/12/17 3:31 pm
From: Pam Hunt <biodiva...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Penacook Survey - a surfeit of thrushes
Greetings all,

Sorry for the delay on this. I meant to send it this morning but got
distracted.

After two days of cold and wind (during which I didn't really even go
outside!), this morning was downright balmy with temperatures just on either
side of freezing. The 10 km Penacook Survey netted an above-average 32
species, with a few noteworthy highlights:

1) Four species of ducks on the Contoocook, including two Common
Goldeneyes. This is only my FOURTH record for the survey (now in its 12th
year; they clearly don't like this river!) and a new record high.

(The other ducks were Mallard, black, and Hooded Merganser)

2) A late Ruby-crowned Kinglet

3) And the highlight of highlights: SIX Hermit Thrushes. All were along
Bog Road in the shrubby/wetlands, and they were in groups of 2 and 4. They
are all the more remarkable in that I only had TWO in all of Sept and Oct (7
surveys), when their migration should have been peaking.

The record for mid-Nov is 37 species, and my list of misses could easily put
me over the edge: Canada Goose, Wild Turkey, Pileated Woodpecker, Common
Raven, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Carolina Wren, Cedar Waxwing, and American
Tree Sparrow. Of course, if I'd found some of those the unwritten laws of
birding would dictate that I'd NO have found the rarities, once again
illustrating why we do this!

Enjoy,

Pam Hunt

Penacook, NH

"The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of those who have not viewed
the world."

- Alexander von Humboldt