Date: 11/12/17 3:24 pm
From: Fred Shaffer <glaucousgull...>
Subject: [MDBirding] PG Harris's Sparrow (late PM)
I went to Bladensburg Waterfront Park and was able to relocate the previously reported 1st-winter Harris's Sparrow just off the Anacostia River Trail. From the Waterfront Park it was approximately a .7 or .8 mile walk south along the trail to where the bird was found.  The directions posted earlier were good - the bird was along the gravel path leading to the boat ramp.  However, from Bladensburg Waterfront Park, it was the second gravel road on the right side of the trail (the first goes into a reforestation area, which is not what you want). However, the path to the boat launch is marked with some interpretative signage and is fairly easy to find.  Fortunately, I bumped into Robert Steele, and he showed me where the bird was seen and even got me onto the bird once it popped up into the top of some brambles just off the path. The location where Robert found the bird and where I saw it was on the left side of the gravel path leading to the boat launch. It was a few hundred feet from the main (paved) Anacostia River Trail.  The Harris's Sparrow was hanging out with some Field and Song Sparrows in the brambles just off the path.  The brambles were on the left side of the path, and restored wetlands were on the right.  This was a great way to end the rarity roundup.  Thank you to Mark, Matt and Bill for organizing the roundup and to Robert Steele for finding the Harris's Sparrow and getting me on the bird once I arrived at the scene.  Lastly, at least for today Bladensburg Waterfront Park was open until 5:30 pm, which gives people accessing the site from Bladensburg a little more time to see the bird in the late afternoon (like tomorrow after work).  Also, the site is located a few hundred feet (or so) north of US 50/New York Avenue, so it is definitely in Prince George's County, although not by much. Good birding,
Fred <ShafferGlaucousGull...>, MD