Date: 11/12/17 12:26 pm
From: Eric Hough <thebirdwhisperer22...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] CEAZ: Wickenburg: RED CROSSBILLS
Nov. 12, 2017
This morning Chrissy Kondrat-Smith and I birded some parks and other spots around Wickenburg in northwest Maricopa County, finding RED CROSSBILLS at several locations. It sounded like possibly two different call types; we got recordings, so will try to see which crossbill types (cryptic species types) are involved. Most were visiting the exotic pines around businesses and yards (Aleppo pines, I think). Here are the Red Crossbill counts by location:
—Coffinger Park: 13
—Boetto Park: 5
—Wickenburg Community Hospital (pines around parking lot of Pharmacy building): 12
—South end of S. Tegner St. near the elementary school: 3 flyovers

We also had RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES at a couple of locations: four at Boetto Park and at least eight in the pines at the pharmacy building at Wickenburg Community Hospital. At the latter location we heard one INCA DOVE briefly calling.

Along the corrals and farm fields at Simpson Ranch at the south end of S. Tegner St. (southeast of downtown) we spotted two female MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS.

Good birding,

Eric Hough
Wickenburg, AZ

Sent from my iPhone