Date: 11/12/17 9:45 am
From: Larry Cartwright via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Merlin puts on a show at Huntley Meadows today
The regularly scheduled Sunday morning walk at Dyke Marsh shifted to the
Huntley Meadows Hike-Bike Trail today because of the closure of the George
Washington Parkway for a race. It was rather slow, but the absolute
highlight was a Merlin chasing three American Crows around the central
wetland near the water control structure. Although outsized and outnumbered,
the feisty Merlin put on a virtually nonstop pursuit of the three corvids,
stopping to rest briefly before returning to the chase. This thrilling
sight lasted for over five minutes. I'd say the contest was a draw. Both
Merlin and crows were present when we left. We also heard a small, but
vocal flock of Tundra Swans fly overhead. Several species of woodpeckers,
including a sapsucker, were quite active at the parking lot, and it was a
delight to see several Field Sparrows as well as we returned along the
gravel path from the water control structure.

Huntley Meadows Park--Hike and Bike Trail, Fairfax, Virginia, US Nov 12,
2017 7:59 AM - 11:09 AM

Protocol: Traveling

2.0 mile(s)

35 species