Date: 11/12/17 8:31 am
From: Rick Bowes <rbowes...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 11/11 Duxbury Beach - Photo bombed by Snowy Owl
I was taking a photo to record the erosion at the Plum Hills area of the
beach (big snow fence toppled) when an excellent raptor photographer (with a
giant lens!) who is often on the beach was passing by and called me over to
his truck to say that a Snowy had been seen earlier in the day in Lakeville,
MA, and he wondered if I'd had one on the Beach yet [no]. After a couple of
minutes he headed on north and I went back to take another shot (pix2).
When I got home I noticed a white spot in the distance and zoomed in to see
this Snowy! (pix1).. It wasn't there when I went over to the truck (pix3),
and so it must've dropped in while we were talking! Ironically, I also
caught the photographer's truck in the shot!

Pix in ebird post at: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40465322

Also, had my first Hooded Mergansers for my Duxbury Beach list (pix in
ebird) - 4 at the west end of the Powder Point Bridge right by the parking
lot. Coincidentally there were 3 more under the Yacht Club pier at the Town
Pier parking area along with a dozen or so Bufflehead and a very cooperative
Red-throated Loon

Rick Bowes, Duxbury, MA

<mailto:<rbowes...> <rbowes...>

Duxbury Beach info at: http://www.duxburybeach.com/general-info/