Date: 11/12/17 8:05 am
From: Jerry McWilliams <0000001b5c226889-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Greater White-fronted Goose and Cackling Goose continue
The Greater White-fronted Goose and nine Cackling Geese are still present at the Fairview Business Park as of 10:00 AM on Nov. 12. I suggest caution when identifying the Cackling Geese, since there are some small relatively short-billed Canada Geese, perhaps hybrids with B. hutchinsii, that are in the flock. These geese are as large or perhaps slightly larger than the GWFG. Cackling are only a little larger than Mallards and slightly smaller than the GWFG. My conclusion is if they don't stand out as being obviously smaller than Canada Geese, it's best to let them go. When I was in the taxidermy business, I weighed all of the typical Canada Geese that came to my studio. Their weights were quite wide ranging anywhere from 6 pounds to 12 pounds. The six pounders were likely late brood geese. Cackling Geese weigh about 3 to 4 pounds.

Jerry McWilliams
Erie, Erie County, Pa.
<jerrymcw...>

Join us on Facebook!