Date: 11/12/17 8:03 am
From: 'Larry & Penny Alden' <overlook...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Tomhannock Reservoir - 11/11/17
Continuing my annual tradition of circumnavigating Tomhannock Reservoir
every Veterans' Day, Jackie Bogardus and I found 51 species, bettering my
totals from the last three years and exceeding the 10-year average by one.
Waterfowl highlights included the usual duck species plus Wood Duck, Gadwall
(a pair), Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, and a distant flock of 19
Long-tailed Ducks which perplexed us for a time until we figured out what
they were, a single Common Loon at Otter Creek, and Pied-billed Grebe.

Other highlights included 2 immature Bald Eagles, a Sharper's Hawk (aka an
unidentified accipiter species), Herring Gull (2), Tree Swallow (about 25 or
so despite the sub-freezing temperature), Brown Creeper, Golden-crowned
Kinglet, Cedar Waxwing, and Red-winged Blackbird.

Nothing really super-exciting, but a nice variety that took a bit of work to
finally get to.

I have records for 17 of the last 18 years and I know I've done this for at
least five years before that. The cumulative list of species from the years
I have records for stands at exactly 100 species.

Larry Alden

Join us on Facebook!