Date: 11/12/17 7:27 am
From: Greene, Terri B <tgreene...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Long-tailed Duck at Fairfax SRA, Monroe Co
Jack and I found what we believed to be a Long-tailed Duck just off of the beach at Fairfax SRA yesterday, Nov. 11, around 3:50pm. It was in with the coots. We watched it for awhile. I was able to get some photos that I hope are ID worthy. They’re on my ebird post ( http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40464201 ). We walked down the beach to get a better look at some ducks—and what I thought was probably a loon. The ducks were mallards and a Wood Duck. Did not find the probable loon. When we returned, we couldn’t relocate the Long-tailed Duck.

Terri Greene, SW Monroe Co
Jack Haddan, N Lawrence Co

Fairfax State Recreation Area, Monroe, Indiana, US
Nov 11, 2017 3:00 PM - 4:20 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: Viewing from beach with Jack Haddan.
13 species

Wood Duck 1 (female sitting on dock near boats with 4 mallards)
Northern Shoveler 16
Mallard 4
Long-tailed Duck 1 Similar in size to the American Coot. White face patch. Stubby gray bill. White breast and rear. Dark brown back and top of head. Scapulars light/dark scalloped pattern.
Bufflehead 1 (female)
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Turkey Vulture 1
American Coot 400