Date: 11/12/17 6:50 am
From: 'Jorgensen, Joel' <Joel.Jorgensen...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Common Redpoll and more Surf Scoters on drive to work
I had an early morning drive up to Fremont SRA on this lovely morning to work deer check. Since it was right along the way, I made a very brief check of Lake Wanahoo where I found 4 Western Grebes along with more common species. Driving up Highway 109, I pulled into the Cedar Bluffs cemetery, like I always do since it is right next to the road, and I pished for a few seconds in the middle of the small spruce grove. Down through the branches of one of those trees emerged a single Common Redpoll. On the drive through the Fremont Lakes SRA to reach the park office, I briefly checked the lakes for waterbirds. Lake #20 was the only lake with any number of birds (other than CAGOs) and among the diving ducks were two Surf Scoters. Lousy photos of one of the scoters is on the eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40463185. The other sightings have also been reported to eBird.

-Joel

Joel Jorgensen | Nongame Bird Program Manager
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
2200 N. 33rd 68503 | 402.471.5440
<joel.jorgensen...><mailto:<joel.jorgensen...>

Join us on Facebook!