Date: 11/12/17 4:26 am
From: Ken Pinnow <000000eea5970e91-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: RFI-Birding Havana
Hi Kathy,

If you can only bird within Havana, then I would suggest going the National Botanical Gardens, which are to the east of the city (about 20-30 minutes by car from the center). The gardens are a little run down, but there is excellent habitat for a good number of endemics plus migrants this time of year. One highlight is a local population of Bobwhites. The gardens are fairly large but walkable (there is a kind of tractor-driven tram to take visitors around the complex). Be sure to bring your own food/water. Not much was open when I was there in June. Otherwise, you can get some good birds in the parks along the Malecon and within the city. The Colon Cemetery had a lot of warblers when I was there in January on another trip. Unfortunately, the best sites for the Bee Hummingbird are at least 2-3 hours drive from Havana.

As far as guidebooks are concerned, Arturo Kirkconnell's "Field Guide to the Birds of Cuba" is a bit large but the go-to book. Nils Navarro's "Endemic Birds of Cuba" is also excellent.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have more questions.

Have a great trip,
Ken

Join us on Facebook!