Date: 11/12/17 12:34 am
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Flight calls
A few days ago the ABA Blog had an article regarding an online resource for
listening to flight calls of North American birds. This is actually pretty
darn cool, as it has not only audio files of calls but spectrograms as well
(Sylvia's students, unite!). Note that this is actually a guide for eastern
species (🙄🙄🙄) but there are a fair amount of western species on this
website as well, including those that would occur in their natural range or
as vagrants to Orange County, some of which flight calls can be crucial to
detection and identification (longspurs, anyone?).

You can view the original blog post, with link to the flight calls website,
here: http://blog.aba.org/2017/11/nocturnal-flight-calls-online.html. A
word of advice: use the big "Species Index" button on the main page. Do not
use the tiny one at the top of other pages ("Audio Recordings," etc.) as it
is currently a broken link on other pages but works fine off the main index
page.

Despite the emphasis in the post for nocturnal calls, the website actually
has both diurnal and nocturnal flight calls as appropriate and available.
It is definitely worth a look, and on a side note I would highly recommend
learning the very distinctive and easy nocturnal flight call of Swainson's
Thrush before next spring. One of my favorite yard-birding moments ever was
leaving for work predawn one morning last spring and hearing Swainson's
Thrushes flying over my house in the darkness:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36702870.

Ryan Winkleman
RSM

Join us on Facebook!