Date: 11/11/17 11:51 pm
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] CDFW planned fees for ecological reserves
For those of you who don't keep up with the San Diego County board, Stan
Walens posted today about planned fees for access to California Department
of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) Lands in San Diego County. This will have an
impact on Orange County as well.

Some of you may remember a few years ago when Joel Weintraub relayed info
about planned fees for Upper Newport Bay Ecological Reserve. This obviously
was never implemented, or at least not in any meaningful way, but is
apparently now planned for January 2018. In addition to this there is now a
fee planned for access to Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve beginning in
February 2018.

Fees for 2017 are $4.32 for a day pass and $24.33 for an annual pass. Given
that these are essentially the same as they were in 2013, I would expect
them to be more or less the same again in 2018. How these will be enforced
in areas with no entrance gates and that are basically public access off of
major thoroughfares, I have no idea. Random patrols and shakedowns?

You can view the full page regarding the updated fees here:
https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2017/10/31/cdfw-expanding-lands-pass-program-
to-dozens-of-properties-in-2017-18/

Joel took it upon himself to write the local CDFW biologist at the time in
2013 to ask her questions about the program. I expect these are all still
valid responses. I may ask her a few questions myself and will follow-up
with any responses I get, if so. Here is his post from the time:
conversations/messages/7530

In a sense this is not much different than paying for our annual county
parks pass, except *every member* of any birding party is now (beginning
2018) required to have a personal Lands Pass, which may make Sea and Sage
field trips and censuses a little bit of a pain. Oh, and don't you dare
even THINK about laminating the thing:
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Lands-Pass/FAQ#517101664-can-i-laminate-my-lands-pass
.

Ryan Winkleman