Date: 11/11/17 10:27 pm
From: Noah Arthur <semirelicta...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Palm Warbler video
Here's a video of the flamboyant little Palm Warbler that was hanging out on the east side of the bay just east of Lemoyne this afternoon: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99231652@N07/38319937702/in/dateposted-public/I first spotted the bird in silhouette on shoreline rocks, and all I could see was that it was a warbler enthusiastically bobbing its tail. I knew this was going to be a "good one", but thought I had let it get away unidentified when it rocketed from the shoreline way up into some trees and shrubbery, out of sight. (I know all too well that when a warbler disappears from view, it's often never to be seen again.) But this bird popped out again a minute later, tail-bobbing around on a bush in the sun for me as seen in the video, showing itself to be a Palm Warbler.
And if anyone is interested, here are some photos of the bird I identified as an 'Audubon's' Yellow-rumped Warbler earlier today:https://www.flickr.com/photos/99231652@N07/albums/72157666230073599Looking closely at the photos now, I'm wondering if this may be an Audubon'sXMyrtle intergrade. The pointed corners of the throat patch (although not wrapping behind the auriculars, as I'd expect on a pure Myrtle), and the broad dark separation between the eye-arcs at the front of the eye, seem Myrtle-ish. According to eBird, both subspecies are regular in the area, so there's no "default" option to fall back on... Any opinions on this bird, anyone?
Noah

Join us on Facebook!