Date: 11/11/17 7:18 pm
From: Kimball Garrett <kgarrett...> [LACoBirds] <LACoBirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [LACoBirds] Plover ID Question
Kevin,

This is certainly a golden-plover. By mid-November Pacific Golden-Plover is the "expected" species along our coast (and especially out on the Channel Islands), but we're still in the window for late fall migrant American Golden-Plovers. From head patterning and relatively large bill, my impression is that your bird is a Pacific. A photo showing details of primary extension (beyond the tertials and beyond the tail) would be very helpful -- primary projection is longer in American than in Pacific. This mark s equivocal from your photo. Pacifics are also relatively longer legged, though I can't really make out any legs on your bird. A juvenile Black-bellied Plover would lack the yellowish tones on the head and would have a longer, thicker bill (and a hind toe [albeit very small], though your photos don't help there).

Kimball

Kimball L. Garrett
Ornithology Collections Manager
900 Exposition Blvd.