Date: 11/11/17 6:55 pm
From: <chayward414...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Short-eared Owls, Wavecrest Half Moon Bay 11/11/17
Hi Folks,

Late this afternoon at dusk just after sunset, I found two Short-eared Owls hunting low over the field at south Wavecrest. This is the field west of the baseball fields known as Smith Field. The owls were seen close to an area which used to be a model aircraft runway, where there is a tarmac strip that looks like an old road.
In past years this was a consistent spot for this species but not so much the past couple of years. Perhaps there are more voles around this year. I did notice a lot of vole activity when visiting the LeConte Sparrow location.
Also I got great looks at the Ferruginous Hawk that has been reported recently at Cowell Purisima, as I was driving up Highway 1 it was soaring right over the parking area.

Chris Hayward
Half Moon Bay

Join us on Facebook!