Date: 11/11/17 6:58 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (11 Nov 2017) 134 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 134 1094 13894

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Al Guarente, Don Manuel, Kathleen Pileggi, Sue Manuel

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Al Guarente, Don Manuel, Sue Manuel, Kathleen Pileggi, Susan
Huffington, Susan Corkran.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Sunny to Partly Sunny (0-50% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 27 - 40F, Winds North @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-tailed Hawk,
1-American Kestrel, and numerous Black (60) and Turkey Vultures (75).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-3; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-5
<BR><BR>
----Golden Eagle ages: Imma.-2; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“I’ll be With Susan”---

Yet another exciting morning of hawk watching was at hand. One of my first
birds upon arriving was an adult Golden Eagle flying past the woods to our
north. Soon came a text from Kim, stationed at the Ashland Hawk Watch,
with news of another Golden Eagle there – an immature and it was heading
our way! I picked up an immature Golden Eagle (their bird?) about 15
minutes later and then another immature about 15 minutes further on - this
one particularly close. All these before 10am…back and forth with Kim we
went. During that exciting first hour, we traded sightings and reports,
and likely a couple of good-natured barbs, All the while; there were
numbers of Red-shouldered Hawks and Red-tailed Hawks in the mix. That was
exciting!

Much of the day, the sky held High wispy clouds that were perfect for
spotting large raptors, while light northerly winds were good for both of
us.

At 10:55, two Ravens soaring by together. The second of three passes I
noticed the tandem make.

Don & Sue arrived, followed by Susan, and then Susan arrived. Hmmm…notice
a trend here? All three women here were named Susan – a TBI patient’s
dream come true. I had just one name to remember to call out. “Look
Susan!”
Ah, but then there is Don. Don, you are on your own, Buddy. If you need
me, I’ll be over here with Susan…

This day had started great, slowed to a crawl, and finally, just as I was
getting ready to leave and warm up, it picked up again - preventing a
speedy exit into the heat. We all have our crosses to bear, right?
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
14-Wood Duck, 2-COMMON RAVEN, 1-Savannah Sparrow, 12-White-crowned
Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0): Dragonflies (0): Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.18; Steps: 12,158; Floors:
10.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 42; this season: 133
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it could be good with good cloud cover and
light winds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: