Date: 11/11/17 6:49 pm
From: <kevin_lapp...> [LACoBirds] <LACoBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Plover ID Question
Birders:

I stopped by the Snowy Plover enclosure at Dockweiler State Beach around 4pm this afternoon. In addition to the 52+ Snowy plovers hunkered down in plover-bunkers in the sand between the enclosure and the beach (nearly all were outside the enclosure), there was a single larger plover present. The coloring was very yellow/golden, and it was not because of afternoon light. It was either a juvenile Black-bellied Plover or, possibly, a golden plover. I never saw the bird in flight or spread its wings.

Golden plovers are above my birding pay grade. Can anyone educate me on what field marks help make out the ID here?

Photos from a pocket camera can be seen here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/34061022@N07/38315958722/in/album-72157645339586071/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/34061022@N07/38315958722/in/album-72157645339586071/

Kevin Lapp
Culver City

Join us on Facebook!