Date: 11/11/17 6:48 pm
From: John Winebrenner <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Fort Wayne Northern Goshawk
   After birding at Salamonie for the day, Lisa and I were driving up Lima Road and were almost home, just sitting at a red light at Lima and Ludwig Roads. We didn't even see it coming at us until it appeared at eye level, about two feet in front of our bumper. As it passed in front of us, I instinctly blurted out "Coop!" A second later, just as I realized that the undersides were actually barred in gray and black, and the bird seemed awfully big for a Cooper's Hawk, Lisa, said "No, that wasn't a Coop!" As we watched it fly away, we noted that it was evenly gray across the back, and a little darker on the wings (we couldn't make anything out on the tail) and the wingbeats were slower and shallower than those of a Cooper's Hawk. Lisa also noted that the wings seemed broader than a Cooper's Hawk's wings. It was definitely a "Chunk" of a bird!   We turned at the light and toured the surrounding neighborhoods, but were unable to relocate the bird. This was the first Northern Goshawk that I've seen in Indiana for several years, and definitely the closest view of one that I've ever had.
John WinebrennerFort Wayne

Join us on Facebook!