Date: 11/11/17 4:15 pm
From: Michael Thelen <mikethelen...>
Subject: SLAS Field Trip Report -- StL Area
Saturday morning at Shaw Nature Reserve in Franklin County 14 of us started
from the Visitor Center parking lot on a very pleasant 4 1/4 mile fall hike
which took us through the Pinetum, down the Brush Creek trail, across the
prairie with a stop at the observation deck, past the Dana Brown center,
around the wetland, past the serpentine wall and Wolf Run Lake and finally
down the north loop of the Wolf Run trail back to the starting point. It
was brisk at the start with the temperature at 34F; however, the air warmed
steadily throughout the morning. We started promptly at 8 and finished just
a little after 1 p.m.

By my count we tallied 41 species with highlights including 5 raptors and 10
emberizids. There was quite the birdy section of the trail in and around
the Pinetum; a small flight of hawks with 1 RED-TAILED HAWK and 2
RED-SHOULDERED HAWKs accompanied by 2 SHARP-SHINNED HAWKs. Mike Grant
captured at least one diagnostic photo of one of the sharpies. BLUE JAY,
CEDAR WAXWING and DARK-EYED JUNCO were all well represented. A few
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERs and a single PINE SISKIN were also seen.

We looked carefully for crossbills and owls in appropriate places but with
no luck.

On the home stretch of the Wolf Run trail another RED-SHOULDERED HAWK glided
right over our heads then up to a close-to-the-trail perch giving us a nice
scope look and a photo op. Thanks to Bernie for hauling the scope along
today.

Full eBird list at the following link. If anyone would like me to share the
checklist just send me an email to request and I'd be happy to oblige.

Mike Thelen
Univ City, StL Cnty, MO
<mikethelen...>

ABA Birding Code of Ethics