Date: 11/11/17 2:11 pm
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] Swamp Sp., Ross's & Snow Goose - West Arapahoe
I spent the morning (11/11) birding in west Arapahoe County. I started by
owling within the Denver CBC circle, scouting for screeches. I picked up
two during an early morning walk. One responded to my imitation by swooping
to a nearby perch and watching me. The second whinnied and trilled back at
me.

My first stop after sunrise was Ketring Lake. Two Canvasbacks and a female
Common Goldeneye were FOSs for me. So was a Marsh Wren, which responded
madly to me as I pished for a sparrow that turned out to be a Swamp, a
state bird for me.

After Ketring, I stopped at Blackmer Lake in Cherry Hills Village. A Ross's
Goose with a flock of Cackling was in the playing fields around Kent Denver
School.

From Blackmer, I headed to Westlands Park in Greenwood Village. In the
fields around the park was another white goose with a flock of Cackling &
Canadas. I took it, initially, for the same Ross's (which I saw when I
arrived at Kent Denver, but not when I left). But closer inspection
revealed it to be a Snow Goose, my first in Arapahoe. A Greater
White-fronted X something else, perhaps the same hybrid I saw a week or two
ago at Kent Denver, was half of what I needed for another county bird. No
sign of the Indigo Bunting from earlier this week. Several Wood Ducks in
the northern most pond. Around the pond, was a heap of robins, juncos,
Black-capped Chickadees, Bushtit, and Cedar Waxwings.

Back home, I had my first yard American Tree Sparrow of the fall. This bird
was foraging in my flower garden (though under a feeder, so I don't know
what it was after). I followed an absurd, complex song to a Song Sparrow,
which was vocalizing something odd.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO