Date: 11/11/17 12:39 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Winter on the NH Coast (Yellow Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, etc.)
Jane and I hit the coast today......and wow, what a contrast from last
weekend.  Last Friday and Saturday, we had 8 species of butterflies and
record late date for two damselflies and temperatures in the mid-70's.
Today, we had a temperature in the upper teens to low 20's and
windchills much colder.  Small freshwater ponds and some tidal creeks
frozen over.  Marsh Road pond which had lots of Familiar Bluets last
Friday is now a frozen block of ice!  With the strong cold front and NW
winds, we hoped for maybe some finch or hawk migration or maybe a Cave
Swallow.  We got nothing.  Very little migration going on, but a few
late day skeins of geese.

Highlights included the continuing YELLOW WARBLER in the pines at North
Side Park in Hampton.  Now ties for the 3rd latest date for NH.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/38341086301/in/dateposted/
And Jason Lambert reported a TENNESSEE WARBLER (3rd latest for NH) at
Fort Stark in New Castle.  We searched for it, but came up empty.  We
did but have a Gray Catbird and a Hermit Thrush with about 3
Yellow-rumps there.

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA