Date: 11/11/17 11:25 am
From: <rogerschoedl...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Bolsa Chica 11/10/17
I stopped by Bolsa Chica on Friday morning and combed over the Horned Lark flock behind the fenced nesting area. A curious looking bird was mixed in with them drew my attention. I saw it several times over 15 minutes but the flock of about 45 larks was skittish and flushed repeatedly. The flock tended to stay at the far side of the sandy area as seen from where the vehicle gate is in the fence. My views were somewhat distant and never closer than 50 feet. Looking eastward into a rising sun wasn't great either. I did manage a number of photos of the bird. I waited around another 2 hours to see if it would reappear but it disappeared along with most of the larks.

I loaded a number of heavily cropped photos to my Flickr page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110988414@N04/24467921968/in/datetaken-public/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/110988414@N04/24467921968/in/datetaken-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110988414@N04/24467926498/in/datetaken-public/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/110988414@N04/24467926498/in/datetaken-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110988414@N04/38338505341/in/datetaken-public/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/110988414@N04/38338505341/in/datetaken-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110988414@N04/26563279359/in/datetaken-public/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/110988414@N04/26563279359/in/datetaken-public/

I tentatively identified it as a Chestnut-collared Longspur based on the overall buffy color, small triangular bill, patterning, etc. I'm not wholly confident in that ID for a couple reasons, in particular the pink color of the bill. I would appreciate any feedback on this bird.

I went back this morning to see if it was still around. The flock of 40 or so larks was still around but I did not refind it.

Roger Schoedl
Huntington Beach

Join us on Facebook!