Date: 11/11/17 9:31 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] New Oregon Bird !
Yeah, I know it’s not February but it’s been raining for a week and plans to rain for another, and there are no bizarre discussions on OBOL, so let’s have some fun. It’s time for the Occasional Survey of Oregon Birders (O-SOB, for the rarities we miss). We last predicted the next bird for the Oregon list in 2011. Since then Oregon has added:

2012: Cassin's Sparrow, Greater Roadrunner

2013: Red-bellied Woodpecker, Little Bunting, Common Eider, Chimney Swift, Hawaiian Petrel

2014: Tundra Bean-Goose, Stejneger's Petrel

2015: Great Crested Flycatcher, Red-flanked Bluetail

2016: Common Scoter

Here’s how you vote. Give a “5” to the MOST likely bird to next be found in Oregon from the list below (You can add a species if you want to). Give a “4” to the next most likely, down to “1”. You get only those five weighted votes.

Send me your votes and I’ll tally and post the results before Thanksgiving. Feel free to include your reasons and I’ll post a selection.

Aleutian Tern

Am Purple Gallinule

Am. Oystercatcher

Arctic Warbler

Baird's Sparrow

BB Cuckoo

Black Vulture

Black-tailed Gull

Bluethroat

Brown Shrike

Brown-crested Flycatcher

Cave Swallow

Cerulean Warbler

Common Greenshank

Common Pochard

Common Rosefinch.

Connecticut Warbler

Craveri's Murrelet

Crested Auklet

Dusky Thrush

Dusky Warbler

Eurasian Kestrel

Far Eastern Curlew

Field Sparrow

Fieldfare

Grace's Warbler

Gray Wagtail

Gray-tailed Tattler

Great BB Gull

Great-winged Petrel

Greater Pewee

Gull-billed Tern

Inca Dove

Ivory Gull

Kittlitz's Murrelet

Least Auklet

Least Storm-Petrel

Lesser Frigatebird

Little Curlew

Magnificent Hummer

Mississippi Kite

Nelson's Sparrow

Neotropic Cormorant

Northern Hobby

Oriental Greenfinch

Parkinson's Petrel

Red-faced Warbler

Red-footed Booby

Red-tailed Tropicbird

Reddish Egret

Redwing

Rufous-crowned Sparrow

Sandwich Tern

Siberian Accentor

Sky Lark

Sulphur-b Flycatcher

Temminck's Stint

Terek Sandpiper

White-chinned Petrel

White-winged Tern

Winter Wren

Wood Stork

Xantus's Hummingbird

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Yellow-billed Magpie

Yellow-green Vireo

Zone-tailed Hawk

Thanks to Hendrik Herlyn for help developing the list.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>

“Nostalgic for Nixon"

Eugene, Oregon