Date: 11/11/17 8:00 am
From: James P Smith <keenbirder...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Turner's Falls - Great Cormorants and other notables
Greeting birders,

On November 8th, two Great Cormorants made an all-too-brief appearance at
Turner's Falls with two individuals being seen at the Rod and Gun club and
another, presumed to be one of the same was at Unity Park with a
Double-crested Cormorant. A few pics can be seen here;
https://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com/2017/11/ma-great-cormorants-white-eyed-vireo.html
The 8th was also the last day that I noted the long staying White-eyed
Vireo at Turner's Falls.

On the 10th, some 31 Buffleheads were present between Barton Cove and the
Turner's Falls Rod & Gun, where there was also a drake Gadwall among a
handful of other waterfowl species.

This morning (Nov 11th), some 44 Hooded Mergansers were back on Barton Cove
easily visible from the campground road off Rt2, Gill. This seems to be a
traditional staging/displaying spot for them and I've noted large
gatherings in this corner of the cove for at least the last four years.
Here's some older blog posts from 2014 & 2015 describing similar numbers;
https://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com/2014/11/ma-frigid-day-and-red-necked-grebe-1119.html

<https://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com/2014/11/ma-frigid-day-and-red-necked-grebe-1119.html>
https://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com/2015/11/ma-back-in-valley.html
<https://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com/2014/11/ma-frigid-day-and-red-necked-grebe-1119.html>

Also of note today, two adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls seen in flight with
a lone Herring Gull over Turner's Falls Airfield and heading SW, possibly
towards the power canal.

Good birding,

James
https://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com