Date: 11/11/17 5:03 am
From: Dom <dom...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Corn Crake questions
Corncrakes are suffering huge declines in most of western EU. I have yet to
find one in my home country despite them breeding here.
I also suspect as afro-palearctic migrants they would probably exhibit
higher nearctic vagrancy if the population was stable. Historic US records
suggest this too.

A bit more info below from Paul at AMNH who processed this particularly
individual, for those interested:

"Several people have asked about cause of death. The bird was clearly hit
by a car with a fractures in both hind limbs and the pelvis.

Jonas Lai has skinned the bird and we have obtained the following data.

The bird was a male with testes 5 x 2.5 mm

It weighed 110g which is rather light for this species. Published weights
range from 135-210 g ((Handbook of the Birds of Europe the Middle East and
North Africa). There was no fat but the pectoral muscles did not appear
atrophied.

Stomach contained tiny insect parts which have been persevered but not
identified.

A moderate parasite load of Acanthocephalans was identified by AMNH
parasitologists Mark Siddall and Michael Tessler"

Paul Sweet

Collection Manager

Department of Ornithology

American Museum of Natural History