Date: 11/11/17 4:07 am
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Rockbridge Co. Ducks and Other birds on Friday
I apologize if this is the second version of this email - my email is acting up this morning.

I went out on Friday to see what ducks remained from the massive duck fallout that occurred on Wednesday and Thursday west of the Blue Ridge. Many of the unusual species that were seen (Tundra Swans in large numbers, Common Loons, White-winged Scoters) had already departed. I headed up to Willow Lake near Raphine VA (exit 205 on I-81) to see what ducks were there. At Willow Lake there were approximately 150 ducks. Ruddy Ducks were the most common. There also Hooded Mergansers (10), Ring-necked Ducks (15), Greater Scaup (4), Mallards, Northern Shovelers (2), Pied-billed Grebes (5), Horned Grebes (6), Canada Geese, American Coots (perhaps 30), Gadwall (10), a Great Blue Heron, a Bonaparte's Gull, and a herd of 8 deer with an 8 pointer (see photo on Flickr).

I drove a few of the back roads near Brownsburg (New Providence, McElwee, Hyde and Ridge Rds) looking for Harriers and other birds. I found White-crowned Sparrows (common), Mockingbirds, lots and lots of crows, WB Nuthatches, White-throated Sparrows, 3 Ravens, 3-4 Harriers, and I heard Horned Larks and had a small flock of Am. Pipits fly over me.

I've up-loaded a few photos onto my Flickr site if you are interested in seeing them:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmibiology/

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept